Friday, April 30, 2010

Outside of class Tech tool

Our district just added a new piece of technology designed to help students who struggle with reading and writing skills. It is called Read Write Gold and has a reader which can be used with any word or pdf or internet document. When you highlight the text it will say it for you. The pronunciation can be off at times but it has helped some of our lowest readers and our ELL students. We have found it comes with a Spanish voice option so I look forward to usin that with my students. It also has English writing prompts and several other tools. I don't have a link to an internet example or resource but I think Library Media or Reading Specialists would be able to help you find it if you are interested. I will be looking at how I can make it available to my students, especially when I am not at school because my kids are sick.
Check it out and tell me what you think!

2 comments:

  1. I would like to find out more information on this. The vast majority of my caseload has issues reading, but there are a few that are severe and this could be a great tool for them to use during resource/re-teach time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen things like this in schools with students who have special needs. I think the one I've seen most often on PCs is Dragon Speak (http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/). The Mac has this capability built into the operating system.

    On campus they use Jaws to read off a computer screen and Kurzweil readers to deal with print text.

    ReplyDelete